A lot of people criticize me for my stack of gaming keyboards, claiming that keyboards have a minimal effect on gaming. But that’s just not true. Having a proper keyboard can improve core areas of your gameplay, no matter what genre you play.
- FPS – A high quality keyboard can elicit more fluid movement control, as well as effortless switching of weapons. Sometimes you just need to strafe diagonally, while flipping through nades – try that on a cheap keyboard and you’ll find yourself with a ghosting effect!
- RTS – A mechanical keyboard can speed up the pressing of keys, allowing for quicker unit creation and commands. Hotkeying back to base and busting out 5 marine barracks queues is just so much easier. Say hello to improved macro!
- MOBA – With high-quality switches, gaming keyboards will make you press keys more accurately. Nothing is more shameful than wasting your ulti by accident!
- MMORPG – Gaming keyboards are highly customizable, and the MMORPG models allow you to bind unlimited macros. Such keyboards are ergonomically designed to position your macros in a convenient and efficient way. This means you can execute your spelled combos when it matters – such as an intense raid, or in the heat of a PvP battle.
Gaming keyboards use significantly higher-quality components than the cheap, stock ones provided in packaged deals. There are a lot of parts in a keyboard: circuits, switches, keys, structural base, mouse skates – even a tiny CPU with read only memory (similar to the BIOS on a computer). Gaming keyboards create these components with superior material – the most obvious example being metal switches instead of rubber. Like a well-crafted car, these keyboards are dependable and built to last. It’s an investment.
The thing with gaming keyboards is that new updates of models are constantly being released. Despite these newer “revisions”, many keyboard enthusiasts prefer the older, tried and true models — you know, the ones legacies were born from. The Sidewinder X4, G510, QuickFire Rapid, BlackWidow — these are all well known names in gaming communities, and for a good reason.
Ordering this list was a hard decision. Like all subjective rankings, preference clearly plays a role, and there are certainly those who would order this list differently. However, the fact is that all 5 of these keyboards are solid, reliable choices for a gaming keyboard. No one will dispute that fact.
I present to you, the top gaming keyboards of 2013:
5. Microsoft Sidewinder X4
- 6 Programmable Macro Keys
- 3 Back-light Settings
- Comfortable Hand Rest
Microsoft’s Sidewinder X4 is one of the few non-mechanical keyboards able to stand toe-to-toe with their mechanical brethren. Those looking for a quieter gaming keyboard should certainly consider the Sidewinder X4. Interestingly, the Sidewinder X4 was the first keyboard to employ Anti-Ghosting technology, which allows the simultaneous pressing of up to 26 buttons at once. This fact is relevant for gaming when you are strafing with your WASD keys while trying to switch guns at the same time.
4. Logitech G510
3. CM Storm QuickFire Rapid
2.Corsair Vengeance K90